Friday, March 5, 2010

Sub Text

I could never understand why some people make a point to make you read between the lines when they speak to you. To be honest I think that the basic skill to communicate is becoming a lost art. It's sad to think where the youth of the nation is heading. We are communicating in ways our parents have to actually learn how to use. In recent study study done at the Alonte household, a 14 year old can have up to 25,000 text messages in ONE month. That's right. (I had to triple check to make sure I wasn't hearing the number wrong...."you mean...like a two...then a five...and there are three zeroes on the end of that number?")

I was out with a friend recently and she was becoming confused with certain people. Do you realize how hard it can be to try to start a relationship based on just a text messaging relationship? You can imagine how frustrating this girl is feeling when you have nothing but text to read. At least when you're with someone and you get confused, you have their body language or voice inflections to go on. But text....? You have nothing but the words. As my friend put it, you have to read into the "sub-text" to try to figure out what people are trying to say.

Now don't get me wrong. I write my fair share of texts, but I use it for a quick encouraging note, writing someone when I know they can't answer the phone, saying how glad I am that it's a Friday....but for a full conversation? I'd rather not.

So what's my point?

I guess I don't have a problem with my face to face communication skills, but I am making a point to see people this weekend. Long lost best friends, a college roomate who is one of my best friends, new aquaintances and old ones. People who I want to make a part of my life. People who mean something to me. All people I need to catch up with. I could shoot them a quick text, however....I like to be as young folk call it..."old fashioned" and do it in person.

So how about for this weekend you challenge yourself. How bout you find someone outside of the normal routine and catch up. Say hello. Make the call. Set the lunch date. It's something you may not have thought about, but it will be worth it.

But for goodness sake don't write the invite in a text...

:) Happy Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment